Thursday, August 20, 2009

What are the Odds of That happening?

“A Happy Man Rants not, lest the Man is Unhappy and Suffers in Silence”


Anyway, just a quick snippet of something freaky that has happened the past week.
Weather was good, so I summoned up a group of friends to go fishing by the cape in Taroona. Being my 2nd time fishing with the first catching nothing but a dumb crab, I was enthusiastic in hauling up some fishes that day.

I straightened the rod, set the bait and cast the line. Within seconds, the tip of the rod starts nodding down erratically, I knew I had caught something. Mirroring what I saw on TV and also pointers from my friends who are obviously more experienced than I in fishing, I reeled my catch in with much force and grace.

To my great surprise, I did indeed catch a fish. It was a coastal breed of catfish, and it was quite large and the rod can barely support the weight of the fish once it was out of the water.

What was interesting about this catch was, towards the end of the tail, there was another hook in addition to the one in its mouth which I caught it from. So this fish has been “hooked” twice, how the 2nd hook got into the tail, I have no idea and thought it was physically impossible.

Anyway, I tried to remove the hook from the fish, using a tool Allan had provided. Being a total noob I really didn’t know how to. And the result was one fish squirming in a bucket half full of sea water, painfully so. I felt bad, but the adrenaline of standing on a precarious, slippery rock, and the wrestling that ensued the reeling of the fish left me with a great high.

This is the 1st time ive caught something with a fishing rod. I remembered more than a decade ago, my cousin and I would make fishing rods out of bend wires, some thread and a long stick, in the hopes of catching something off the river behind my grandmothers house, to no avail of course. This was a “dream come true”. It was something I had always wanted to do.

Resting for a moment, trying not to think too much about the painful process of removing the mangled hook out from the fishes mouth, I marvelled at the size and the sheer fact I had caught a fish. 1st one amongst 5 other friends to do so too!

I set a 2nd bait, cast the line and left the rod on one of the many rock crevices. Before I even got to sit down, again the line nodded. And before I knew it, I again gracefully reeled in a 2nd catch.

This one even bigger than the 1st had a bloated tummy, and it really looked like it was pregnant. I didn’t want to go through the trauma of removing another fish hook, so I had allan do it.

The interval between my 2nd and 3rd catch, Sani and Dennis both caught something. Sani caught a flounder and another catfish. Dennis caught this odd looking fish with protruding jaws. It looked like a deepsea creature. Not knowing what it was, we were happy he caught anything at all. Allan and Melvin did not catch anything.

After my 3rd catch, the sun was setting and we were losing light. So we started our march back to our cars at the carpark.

Walking along the beach, treading on the soft sands, I could not help but think about the processes of fishing. Sure the excitement of feeling your rod fighting back as you try to reel your catch in was a great experience.

But on one side of the rod, is a man flattering his own ego; on the other side of the rod is a creature ensnared in suffering.

We planned to cook the fish for dinner, and I told them “lets say a prayer before we send the knife down”.

Driving along the ultra-bendy roads home, my mind kept flashing back to the process involved in removing the fish. Some may argue im not an expert hence ive induced more pain on the fish, but, a hook larger than your face pierces through your mouth is undeniably painful.

Then all of a sudden, the brakes on my car fails. The battery indicator flashes on my cluster, giving the car more gas does nothing, infact doing the latter makes the car sputter. My car has stalled going 60kmph on a bendy coastal road.

Not panicking, knowing the road a little, I slowly used my handbrakes and did minor steering adjustments to compensate for the fact I have lost power and brakes to my car. And eventually stopped at a turn-off.

My friends later arrived, we tried everything, jumpstarting, push starting the car to no avail. The engine cranks fine as it lunges forward if I start the car in 1st gear. My lights work, so does my radio, which means the battery is not dead.

I called RACT and they said since im not a member, I would need to pay over 300dollars for them to send someone over. I hung up after I told the operator I would consider that as a last resort.
a
Then we thought about the fish, and Sani said “maybe we angered some spirits”. Allan was usually a pro, and catches the most and the largest amongst everyone. That day he didn’t catch anything, me being a complete nubhead caught 3 out of the 6.

Not feeling very optimistic, Sani called Allan to release the fishes.

Right after he hung up, a man came over and said “I know whaats wrong with your car.” Said something about a fuel distributor not giving out fuel, but he cant find the parts since it’s a “European” car. He then called RACT, and used his membership. A few moments later a van with all the parts came along, swapped out a fuse and turned the ignition key.

To everyone’s surprise and delight, my car roared into life. Fiercely idiling at 800rpm. That put a smile on everyone’s faces, especially mine.

The sheer coincidence of my car breaking down after catching so many fishes, and right after that phone call was made to release the fishes did the good Samaritan came by.

What are the odds really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home