Thursday, August 24, 2006

On Porcelain - Part 1

(thought id write a short story here, dont know how many parts this will be)

I Heard a thud, then another, followed by the sound of cracking bones. However reluctant my head tells me to stay asleep and be oblivious to those noises, I cannot deny the fact that I am in some serious shit. Waking up to unfamiliar sounds was nothing new; in fact, I had an experience like that not long ago...

A thud then a short screech woke me from my restless sleep; I snapped to consciousness and quickly blinked my eyes to refresh them. Once I had a firm grasp of reality I remembered I was on a plane to Tasmania, and apparently the plane I boarded in Melbourne as a transit had finally landed.

"Damn...an hour already? I was only beginning to enjoy my nap" I cursed silently under my yawn accompanied by a much needed arm stretch.

As the plane taxied on the runway I looked out the portholes and saw rolling hills together with endless acres of tall grass, "hmmm not as developed as Melbourne". I had a sure feeling I would miss the trance-savvy city, where I was already established. I had friends; my sisters are there, I know the street names and was basically very familiar with the place. Here in this island inhabited by two headed people I am not too sure if I would fare as well as I can in Melbourne.

The airport was... small, miniscule. Where I entered from the terminal was the baggage collection area; where I collected my baggage was the exit and taxi queue lines. Considering I never had luck with the time used for waiting for my luggage I knew I was going to stand there, staring at the ever revolving black conveying belts for as long as until the familiar sight of my luggage bags come into plain view.

my prediction was right, I stood there for a while before my bags came in. the wait was so long I had the time to realize I did not receive any contact numbers from my agent back home, so who is going to pick me up to the Uni? I glanced around and there wasn’t anyone holding a whiteboard up with my name on it, much like the movies... there wasnt anyone there at all infact.

I was marooned in the airport!

Luckily I got to talk to one of the air porter guys and they were kind enough to give me a lift from the airport to the Uni, I had to pay of course but nothing sucks more than staying in one spot for too long.

On the way to the city I had more chances of getting familiarized with the place. Crossing the Derwent River using the bridge even till now I cannot summon the name was a memorable experience. The bridges across Yarra River were small and, unimpressive, this one in Hobart could allow tankers to pass underneath them, I think.

The houses unlike the suburbs in Melbourne are built on hill sides. Little houses peppered the little slopes around the hills in a contour. Pretty neat I told myself, not like the flat desert Melbourne is.
Like the enjoyable nap I had on the plane before arriving here and everything else in life, before I can completely marvel at the bay Hobart is built around, I had reached my destination –University of Tasmania.

In the union house I was lucky to find an advertisement for a house with 3 rooms and a shared kitchen, for only 50$ a week! That’s a damn bargain. In Melbourne I had to pay 200$ a week for the most basic studio apartment. There were a few other selections but that was the cheapest. I wouldn’t have tried to save on a few dollars if I knew the horrors that await me in that house. If only I knew…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home